Friday, May 19, 2017

Have a nice time ......

And do not hurry back was what I said to hubs as he headed out the door for boys' day out.   My reason for this was today was the day that the fairy quilt was going to be finished off no matter what. I  do not know how you feel but I always seem to achieve more when sewing alone as there are less coffee/meal breaks and no chatter to distract me from the task at hand.  It has proved to be quite difficult to get a photo of this quilt so I have taken a photo from the front and then from the back so it can be seen in full.

From the front


There was only  a metre of fairy fabric so when designing the quilt the fairy fabric ended up in the middle section alternating with 4 patch blocks that is why it is framed  to make a feature of it - the sides, top and bottom only have 4 patches. I then put the same colour border around the whole quilt to pull it together.


Then from the back

 As you can see it was quilted in sections and then joined using quilt as you go method.     I wish I had discovered this method years ago - so much easier than trying to push and pull the whole quilt through the machine throat.

The light is not good as I had to run outside in between showers and grab some photos.

Thanks Wendy for organising FNSI again.   The timing was perfect for me with an empty house, the whole day to sew and I will take the opportunity tonight to cut out some fabric for Miss M to sew when she visits over the weekend.

There are a couple of small projects that have been waiting patiently in my sewing room so they will be tackled next but before that happens the room needs to be thoroughly cleaned especially the floor as threads and offcuts are spread far and wide.    Fabric, pins, cutting boards, rulers, pens and rotary cutters all need to be returned to their rightful place in order to gain back my sewing space.

My May goal was to finish this quilt and I did.  Linking with OMG over at Elm Street Quilts.

Back soon and in the meantime


Happy sewing all





12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen your fairy quilt is gorgeous,it's great when hubby is out for the day,lol,lots of sewing time,hope you have a lovely weekend xx

Jeanette said...

Your fairy quilt is gorgeous. Hugs, xx

Maria said...

Yes I'm like you, just love when I am left alone to sew.....

The Fairy Quilt is fabulous....

Janet said...

And the quilt turned out to be so lovely! What a great finish for you. I too, like to be alone in the house to catch up on all kinds of things, including sewing.

Anthea said...

Wow, what a pretty quilt Karen, well done! The quilt-as-you-go would certainly make it easier.
I like the alone sewing too... which I get so well these days , due to having my sewing room in our out-building!

The Sloan Patch said...

Well done. What a great finish x

Ondrea said...

Wooohooo! Well done girl!!! Looks beautiful. Have fun with the other projects.

Shauna said...

so cute, I love the colors!!!!!

Patty said...

Pretty quilt! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your quilt is so pretty! How nice to have the day to yourself to finish it. I need to learn about the quilt as you go method, as I also struggle with pulling all that bulk through my machine! Can you recommend a book or tutorial?

Bonnie said...

Yea for getting a goal done. I really enjoy identifying a doable goal each month. And isn't wonderful when we succeed?

Leonardi linken said...

Great post about chronic about work I Get more help from your post I found so many blogs related to this But do not get that much information also I found some interesting information about Top 10 Used Car Websites