Tuesday, June 11, 2019

A Pom Pom

Would make a nice addition to the beanies that I am currently knitting was the thought that I had during the night.   Now I have to admit that I have not made a pom pom since primary school - more years than I care to remember  - and my recollection of making them was a rather slow and tedious process using two circles cut from cardboard with a hole in the middle - something like a donut and as the pom pom grew bigger it was very hard to poke the yarn through the smaller middle hole.

After all these years there must be a better way to make pom poms so on-line I go and sure enough pom poms can still be made using that method.   Not happy with that I "googled" a bit more and found that you can purchase discs as well as half discs and then the words  "the quickest and simplest method of making pom poms ever" caught my attention.    Well this had to be investigated and it was discovered that you can make with cardboard a very simple pom pom maker which can be seen below.


And here are the pom poms.   Each one took less than 5 mins to make.   Now that is quick.


The yellow one is a bit too big for the beanies that are being made so the pom pom maker was trimmed  down by about 1".     The blue was made next and it needed to have a bit more wool wound around the cardboard and the pink was the last one made which I think will be a good size.  It sounds a bit like Goldilocks and the 3 bears.   

Now all that remains to be done is knit the beanies that will go underneath them. 

Back soon and in the meantime

Happy sewing all

4 comments:

Maria said...

Sew you went with the Mama size Pom Pom ! Hahaha,

Fiona said...

I think primary school was the last time I made a pom pom too.... great to have found a quicker way....
Hugz

Ondrea said...

I can't remember the last time I made a pom pom. I can't even remember how I did it. Looks like you have a winner pattern there. Looking forward to seeing the beanies.

Bethan said...

It's always good to find a way to speed up a technique x