Monday, July 26, 2021

Its a Guy Thing

When reading about this blog hop several ideas went through my head as to what to make.    Of course one had to type into the search engine "gifts to sew for the male in your life" and many suggestions popped up on the screen but the one that jumped out at me was a key fob that clips onto your bag so that keys do not fall to the bottom of the bag when not in use.    What a great idea - I could do with one of those myself.     

Into the stash to find some fabric that matches with hub's man bag

I did look at several ways to make these fobs but I was not happy with those that had an extra piece of fabric that was wrapped around the outside of the fob to hide the join.     One I saw did not have the wrap around piece of fabric but you could see the raw edges at the join.    Not being a raw edge person and feeling that the other method looked too bulky I had a play around with the ends and devised a method that worked well for me.    No raw edges or bulky wrap around bit.   Here it is going through my machine.


I put the fob onto the loop, then stitched the ends together which enclosed the end seam into the folds of the loop.    When sewing down each side I had to slide the fob along the loop as the needle approached it.   

The finished product - no bulky wrap around piece to hide the join or any raw edges showing. 


And here it is clippped to the outside of the bag.    Keys all safe and no more rummaging at the bottom of the bag in order to find them.    


I made the strap long enough so that it can be put inside the bag and zipped up for extra safety.


31 comments:

Maria said...

A great key fob for a guy ……

Fiona said...

Great idea for the bloke.... those fobs are so useful and I love the clip on clippy things
Hugz

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

That's a fabulous project idea and I'm sure your guy loves it. I think I need to make one of these for myself too. I'm always losing my keys at the bottom of my bag.

Cheryll said...

That's a great idea...well done...xox

Lianne makes stuff said...

That is a great idea and it looks wonderful

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

That is pretty nifty. Great job.

Janice said...

A nice, practical project. I’m sure it will be well used.

Elizabeth Coughlin said...

Very useful project that looks great too!

Carol Swift said...

What a great idea for the "guy thing" in all of us! This would be nice for my golfer husband. He is always hunting for his keys that he's "sure" he had in his pocket, but now they are nowhere to be found. Thank you for sharing with us today!

Carol said...

Very practical project and, I bet, greatly appreciated!

Lori Smanski said...

what a great idea. thanks for sharing.

Calicojoan said...

I love it and a great idea to make it longer to zip inside the bag. I know someone who is forever loosing his keys. I wonder just how long one could make that keyfob. LOL!!!
Thanks for sharing your great idea!

Inflorescencedesigns said...

Wonderful idea! Very useful which are my favorite kinds of projects. Thank you for sharing.

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

I love key fobs as they are useful and easy to make too. I have one I made out of webbing with rickrack stitched down the center of the webbing. So easy to find my keys even if they aren't hooked on to anything in my purse.

Leah said...

Great project! I like that it is long enough to tuck inside. Clever.

For the love of geese said...

I love these. A few years ago I made one for all my sisters and mother with flying geese. They're also great to slide onto your wrist.

Karrin Hurd said...

Great idea! Thanks so much for the inspiration!

Brandy said...

Such a useful project idea, thank you for the inspiration!

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

That is a great project. And key fobs are very handy! Thanks for sharing.

Rebecca Smith said...

A great guy (or gal) project!

tink's mom said...

This is a very clever way of making a key fob. I've made several, none of them look this finished. Great job.

kiwikid said...

Great idea Karen.

Carla said...

Key fobs are so fun to make and a great gift idea. Great idea!

Annie said...

Always a great guy thing. I’ve made them for the guys in my life too. They don’t put them on their wrist, but they love the loop to hang onto or slip over something else to keep the keys visible. I like how you made it so that it could be slipped into the bag without roaming free to find a good hiding place inside.

dq said...

THis was a fantastic idea Karen! No one wants to rummage through a bag to find keys that are always hidden from sight at the bottom. You put so much thought into making it just right!

Sharon said...

Great idea! I need one too. Thank you for sharing!

jude's page said...

Great idea and well explained. I think we could all do with one of these as I am always searching the bottom of my bag for the keys.

LJ said...

Perfect. Finding keys when you need them is a great idea.

Danice G said...

The key fobs are a great idea, thanks for sharing them with us.

Carol Andrews said...

What a great idea for a Guy Gift. Thank you for sharing your tutorial.

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Great idea for a guy! But I think I need to make myself one.... :) xx