Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Winter Blues Blog hop Reveal Day

22nd January is the day allocated for me to reveal the project that I have been working on for the Winter Blues Blog Hop.   This blog hop is being organised by Carla who lives in the northern hemisphere and as they are in the  middle of winter the first thought that went through my head was the clear icy cold blues of winter but as I am living Downunder and in the middle of summer my thoughts turned to the  more soft muted blues and greens of the ocean which I enjoy swimming in when possible during summer.

My choice of fabric was a batik range which reflected perfectly the colours of the ocean with a hint of seaweed and sand.  Without further a do here is the tablerunner that was created.


When it came to choosing the border fabric I did audition many fabrics including those left over from the batik fabrics used but somehow the runner seemed like it wanted to continue.   Then various shades of blue were looked at but they did not seem quite right so after walking away and leaving my choice for a few days I came back and tried solid  black which gave a definite finish to the runner.    It is bound with the blue batik fabric used in the runner.

A photo of the back is below showing the stitch in the ditch used for quilting it.


I really enjoyed this blog hop and would like to thank Carla for organising it.    To see more Winter Blue loveliness pop on over to the following blogs.




Now onto working on my Colour It Red blog hop item.

This will be the first item to be crossed off my WOOFA list.

This was also one of my nominated OMG items for January along with making joey pouches for injured wildlife.

Linking with Midweek Makers
                      Put your Foot down
                      TGIFF
                      Finished or not Finished Friday
                      Peacock Party
                      OMG

Back soon and in the meantime


Happy sewing all

43 comments:

Kaisievic said...

Karen, your table runner does indeed reflect the colours of the ocean. Great job.

Fiona said...

that looks so gorgeous.... lovely table runner and the colours are perfect
Hugz

retdairyqueen said...

Lovely Great colour choices

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Your runner looks great and the dark border really does make it 'pop'.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Your runner looks beautiful and it does feel very ocean cool!

Sheri said...

Wow so pretty!! Love the ocean and the beautiful colors in your runner!

Ondrea said...

Love it! The black border really makes those colours pop. Great choice of fabrics.

Turid said...

I love that shape of your beautiful runner. Got summer vibes.

Elizabeth Coughlin said...

Lovely table runner!

Maria said...

Lovely table runner.... It's a great pattern to use...

tink's mom said...

Never would have thought of black for the border and it looks so wonderful. Great job thanks for sharing it with us and looking forward to hopping with you again next month.

Denise said...

Your runner looks great. The black sure does set off the light shades of blues.

Danice G said...

What a nice runner. I love the pointed ends.

Carol Swift said...

This is such a warm and inviting table runner in those colors. I love it! I don't have snow where I live, but it's definitely not warm enough for a swim. Enjoy your summer warmth...lucky you! Thanks for sharing!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Karen! I can definitely see why the winter would be slightly difficult to imagine right now in the throws of summer! Ahh, yes. I can hear the ocean waves, feel the sand better my toes and just enjoy your runner. The perfect batiks for the picture you painted. ~smile~ Roseanne

Podunk Pretties said...

Thanks for the inspiration! Love your runner!

Calicojoan said...

You sure nailed the light and breezy ocean feel with this runner. Something we all are dreaming of here in the states!

Karrin Hurd said...

Cute table runner. Love the colors!

Susan said...

Karen, that's a lovely, lovely table runner. It really does have the colors of the ocean!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Using the blues of the ocean was totally appropriate for the Hop. Thanks for warming us up with thoughts of Summer!!!

wendy said...

Beautiful table runner, love the colors!

Nancy D said...

Great tablerunner! Love the shape.

Charlene McCain said...

Beautiful table runner! I LOVE those blues. If it was a bundle, would you please share the name? I would love to duplicate your runner since these are the colors in my house. (We don't get harsh winters here in my part of California, so I appreciate the oceans hues.) THanks so much for sharing!

LJ said...

What a lovely runner - so pretty. I think taking a bit to time to think about a fabric choice or a quilting detail is such a great idea. It turned out so well.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Very pretty table runner. Surf, sand and seaweed sounds nice about now.

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

Your table runner is very lovely, Karen! Love the way you incorporated all the colors of the beach!

Sue D said...

Very pretty--I like the colors and patterns.

Carla said...

Your colors do warm the Winter Blues. I wish I was enjoying summer like you. I'm excited that you used black with your blues. Great minds think alike - you will see... Thank you, so much for warming us up with your table runner and joining the Winter Blues Blog Hop, Karen.

Farm Quilter said...

Karen, your French braid table runner is beautiful! I hope you are in a safe location from all the fires in your beautiful country! I've only visited Perth, but the colors of the Indian Ocean are stunning!

Carol Andrews said...

Karen your runner is beautiful

teachpany said...

Sweet runner. Thanks!

Sharon said...

Such a pretty table runner! Thanks for sharing it.

Pamela said...

This is beautiful! It goes to show you that blues are wonderful no matter what the weather is where you live :)

Susan said...

Beautiful colors in this - certainly reminds me of the ocean too!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Very lovely!!!

Dix in Canada said...

Very nice table runner with a great mix of blues & a dark border! Thanks for sharing.

Marian said...

Lovely design and great color choices.. can't get better than that!!

Michelle said...

Great mix of colors. Lovely table runner.

Denise said...

I have enjoyed looking at your finish all weekend. Thank you so much for linking up to Put your foot down.

Danette said...

So pretty!

Suz J said...

Such a beautiful colour palette... very serene!

Cheryll said...

I LoVe your HoT SuMMeR blues... instead of brrrr cold winter blues too...
Beautiful runner for a table in any season...xox

Patty said...

Lovely! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!