It was then suggested by one member that we could all bumble along and try to work it out ourselves over a weekend workshop...most members went a bit quiet on that suggestion however not to be deterred I came home thought more about it then sat down in front of the computer and did what one does - "google" collage quilts and tried to piece together bits and pieces from various websites as to supplies and how to execute this. Off to the sewing room armed with my little bit of knowledge and told hubby not to ask how it was going as it could all end up a horrible mess and best forgotten about.
If you were to ask any of my family members or friends they will all agree that I have a passion for shoes so the obvious choice for me was to start with making a shoe. Every girls dream - a pair of Cinderella's glass slippers which by the way I found in one of Sydney's major department stores but sadly I did leave them behind
There is a pattern/kit to purchase for a shoe but looking at the finished dimensions it was too big for my purpose. The outline of a shoe was printed off from the computer and then traced around the various sections of the shoe ie the outside of the shoe, the heel, the sole and the side and from there applifix was applied to the back of the various chosen fabrics. And so began the process of building my shoe. Time was spent going through piles of scraps auditioning them for various parts of my collage.
At this point I do need to tell you that I did not buy a pattern or kit or any special equipment that was mentioned on a few of the websites - I just used what I normally use in applique to attach the shapes to the base fabric nor did I glue anything down. My background was also pieced using 4 1/2" squares - 4" finished - rather than sticking pieces of fabric randomly down - even though this is what collage is all about.
After much fiddling and arranging this is the end result.
It was quilted across and down the collage with an 1" between each row.
The back shows the corners that I did in order to slip the dowel in so that it will hang in a straight line without any sag in the middle. The quilt ended up 16" x 16" when trimmed and bound.
My mind is now thinking about doing an old fashioned sewing machine. There will be a lot more fussy cutting involved with that one.
Thanks Cheryll for organising another fun FNwF. You can see more lovely creativeness here.
This was my nominated OMG for February.
This is another item to be crossed off the WOOFA list.
Linking with Put your foot down
Mid Week Makers
Finished or Not Finished Friday
From Bolt to Beauty
Back soon and in the meantime
Happy sewing all