An early start was made in the kitchen one morning during the week once breakfast was out of the way. First up I made a plain butter cake and a savoury loaf. While these were in the oven it was time to make a batch of pikelets.
Anyone would think that we were expecting a crowd for afternoon tea but no just the two of us. These have been divided up and now reside in the freezer and will be enjoyed with a cup of coffee each afternoon for a few weeks to come.
While taking the cake tins out of the oven a couple of my fingers learnt the hard way that a new oven glove is sorely needed. This fabric was found in my stash and I think that it be suitable to use for a new double oven mitt.
The old oven glove will be used as a template but will add in extra wadding at both ends.
Mission accomplished but I was surprised at just how long it did take to make. It was made thicker at either end by cutting an extra piece of wadding about 1/2" smaller than the hand pockets so that there would be less bulk to get the bias binding around. This was sewn in as a patch onto the wadding before placing the fabric on the top and bottom. Then all layers were quilted together so there will be no movement of the extra wadding. I gave it a trial last night when taking a tray out of the oven and no heat was felt on my hands.
The chosen fabric is part of the Domestic Goddess range and has been sitting in my stash for just the right project.
Back soon and in the meantime