Saturday, February 23, 2019

Where did February go?????

When I received the email today reminding me that it is time to link up for February's OMG finish did I realise just how close we were to the end of the month.   Having 2 or 3 days less than the other  months brought the end up very fast.     Yesterday I had all the strips cut and ready to sew together for the 4 yellow log cabin blocks so today's job after doing some shopping was to get them finished.

As mentioned in a previous post I thought that all the yellows looked "sameish in value" so a second dive into the scrap bins produced some yellow fabrics with a dash of red, green and blue which seems to give a bit of lift to the all yellow fabrics that were chosen before.

Linking with Elm Street Quilts.
                      So Scrappy
                      Oh Scrap

Back soon and in the meantime

Happy sewing all

Thursday, February 21, 2019

Red and yellow and pink and green

The only colours missing from the rainbow song are orange and blue as can be seen in the photo below.

Since my last post I have managed to spend sometime each day in my sewing room this week and completed 6 dresses.  I am pleased with the way the floral scraps that I had have matched in well with the plain fabrics that I was given to work with.    For three of the dresses there was only enough floral fabric to use in the bodice so in those cases the sleeves matched the skirts. 

My next project to work on is my four yellow log cabin blocks - all the strips have now been cut and just need to be sewn up.     I need to get a wriggle on with these as they were nominated as my OMG for February.       

My next batch of dresses will be a straighter dress using stripes and spots.     These have a back opening which is secured with a button and loop.   

Back soon and in the meantime

Happy sewing all

Friday, February 15, 2019

Mixing and matching

FNSI started early for me today.    The last lot of fabric that was given to me  by the charity organiser contained a lot of plain fabric so in order to "dress" it up I used up some odds and ends of floral  fabrics that were left over from garments  previously made either for Miss M or myself.    I hate having fabric sitting around without a purpose.   Out with the scissors and four dresses were cut out - they will have floral bodices and sleeves with plain skirts.

I even had enough time  to finish off one today.   I timed myself from the cutting out stage to completion - it  takes approx. 3 hours per dress for this design.  

Thanks Wendy for organising us again.    I hope that you are "drying out" after the big wet up your way.  

Back soon and in the meantime

Happy sewing all

Thursday, February 14, 2019

The Tardis

I was given some leftover fabric by a Dr Who fan featuring the Tardis which has been sitting  in my sewing room and everytime I looked at it I wondered what could  be made using the fabric.   The donator of the fabric had a birthday last week so as part of her present she was given the fabric back in the form of a boxed pouch.

I lined the pouch with the same spotty fabric used for the tabs on either end of the zip and added a key charm as part of the zipper pull.    

The recipient was thrilled to receive it and I enjoyed making it so a win win all round.  

It has been rather hot for the last  few weeks so not much sewing has been happening.    I did manage to find a few more yellow fabrics to use for my log cabin blocks but they are yet to be cut.    

Linking with Oh Scrap

Back soon and in the meantime

Happy sewing all

Wednesday, February 6, 2019

A first time for everything

I have never thought of doing a pocket sewn into the side seam of a garment until the other day.     Now that I think about it it was something that I considered to be too hard and fiddly  but after having watched a few you-tube videos on how it is done today was the day to have a go.   I have to say that my fears  were soon dispelled and it was quite quick in relation to making patch pockets.  

Here  is the pocket as seen from the inside of the dress.   I did overlock the pocket before attaching it to the dress and then did a row of stitching just inside the overlocking to give it extra strength.

And here it is seen from the right side...….you can just see the opening if you look hard.

I have to say that I impressed myself  with the result and a pocket in the side seam will be an addition to all garments from now on.  

I am off to sew more pockets….back soon and in the meantime

Happy sewing all

Saturday, February 2, 2019

Hello Sunshine

The colour for February's rainbow scrap challenge is yellow.      This gave me an excuse to wander into my sewing room today and have a play around with the yellow scrap tub.    This is what was found

Now that I see them together there may need to be another rummage around to get a bit more variety in the colour value - they all seem to be middle of the road to me.    More lights and darks are needed.
My OMG for February will be to sew up 4 yellow log cabin blocks and then join them to form 1 large block.

Back soon and in the meantime

Happy sewing all

Friday, February 1, 2019

Doing a little bit of this and that

After a particularly hot week - this photo was taken in the shade outside our back door yesterday afternoon

It was much cooler today with drizzle on and off all day for which the garden will be grateful and being the first Friday of the month means FNwF.   During the  week I had been "production lining" library bags and all that was left to do today was slot the cord through the casing so that I have about 20 of them ready to deliver over the weekend.

While I wait for  February's colour to be announced over the weekend for the rainbow colour challenge I needed to cut more strips of light fabric - hopefully these will be enough for the 4 log cabin blocks.

Back soon and in the meantime

Happy sewing all