Thursday, September 10, 2020

That Didn't Last Long

That is the nice tidy couch in my sewing room.     In my last post I was starting to look at doing some landscape quilts and delving further into my stash of fabrics these were uncovered.   

I am now looking at fabrics in a different way.    The fabrics have been divided up into blue sky, rippled water, trees, grass, sand, shells, mountains, sunsets, rocks, seaweed etc.  

Cheryll reminded us that as this month is moving along  it is time to move a WOOFA project forward to the finish line.  While this project did not exist in reality it has been an idea in my mind for quite sometime.   Progress so far - the scene has been drawn and cut out


And the fabrics chosen placed on each section.  It was decided to keep it simple for my first effort and make the picture approx 11" x 9"  plus borders using just 5 fabrics. 


A lot of you-tube videos have been watched and there seems to be a few different ways of doing these quilts.    I have decided on cutting the fabrics a bit bigger , turning under the top edge and ironing it down so that there are no raw edges shown rather than gluing down the fabrics or using fusible webbing.    Just a personal preference.   I will experiment and try the other methods next time.   

My aim is to make a good start on this tomorrow as I am having a "craft day" with a friend via Facetime.  We are starting around 10 am with a break for lunch and will continue on until afternoon tea.  It is my friend's first "retreat" so I thought we would start off  "gently" rather than throw her in for a full session of a few days.    

While I have been toing and froing from the sewing room over the past few days our resident blue tongue lizard has been enjoying the lovely warm sunshine.    He watches me watching him and we both keep our distance.   


                     Put your foot down  

Back soon and in the meantime

Happy sewing all 

9 comments:

kiwikid said...

How nice to see the blue tongue lizard. Oh dear my room tidy gets like that too, but you do need space to audition your fabrics. Looking forward to seeing your picture. Enjoy your sewing session.

jude's page said...

Glad you are making progress on your landscape."They" say that you can't be creative and tidy as well!?

Maria said...

You need to spread out the fabrics sew you can auction them properly...
Look forward to seeing your progress.

Fiona said...

looks like fun there... prep can take a bit of time ... but worth it.... A sewing retreat is an excellent idea... lots will get done I am sure even with chatting. I chat and sew with a friend too far for a visit for a few hours every couple of weeks and it's a real cheer up. Lucky to have that special blue tongue lizard...
Hugz

Ondrea said...

Oooo I am looking forward to seeing your landscape quilt. I have a stitching friend who does beautiful arty quilts. It must be quite exciting embarking on something new. Enjoy the journey.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

ohh what fun!! landscapes and a craft day with a friend!! enjoy!

Janice said...

I’m looking forward to seeing how your landscape turns out. Your day with your friend sounds like fun. Isn’t it wonderful to have a resident blue tongue. There was always one in my Mum’s yard.

dq said...

Enjoy Craft Day with your friend. I love the idea of your little project as well as your fabric pull!

LIzard looks pretty big to me. WE only have small ones.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Lovely to stitch a long with a friend. Love your little quilt. Good looking bluey there xx