Friday, October 20, 2017

Washed out plans

I cannot complain as it has been 76 days since any significant rain has fallen in our area and the garden and lawn are certainly enjoying their  long overdue drink.   Having said that I had made plans today to visit the annual Sculpture by the Sea exhibition which stretches from Bondi Beach to Tamarama so I had to console myself by heading to the sewing room and make any early start on FNSI by doing some more work on my hexies. 

As I said in my previous post progress is good but very slow.....it is taking around 1 and 1/2 hours to get each rosette sewn on.     Firstly I start by sewing around the inside of the middle flower then move out to the outer edge.    Once the threads have been pulled through and tied off it is time to  then move onto the centre of each of the outer flowers.  Once all those threads have been pulled and tied off I am then giving it a good press and then doing a zig zag stitch around the entire outside edge of the rosette. 


The ones below have now been completed which leaves 7 to go.   I can see why I kept putting this UFO to the back of the pile as it is very time consuming and quite tiring on the eyes.  I can feel another small deviation project being finished before this is.....just to keep my sanity. 


Thanks Wendy for organising FNSI again this month.

Back soon and in the meantime

Happy sewing all

10 comments:

Julierose said...

Gosh your blocks are so beautiful--and i love how you are finishing them. I am pondering how to finish the uneven edges of my Snowflowers hexagon piece--i guess it'll take a lot of time (ya think??) hugs, Julierose

Mia said...

Beautiful hexagons, Karen! I love your rosettes!!! Kisses!

retdairyqueen said...

Those hexies look amazing

Jeanette said...

Love your hexies. They are gorgeous. Hugs,xx

Ondrea said...

That project will be well worth the effort. It is looking beautiful so far. I am intrigued by the use of zig zag stitch but can't see it in the pics. Clever gal!

Narelle said...

Lovely colous in your rosettes. I have several deviation projects on the go 😉

Kate said...

You've got a gorgeous set of blocks. Definitely worth the slow pace to move them towards a finish.

Janet said...

I know what you mean about the tedium of some quilting processes. It does always help to go away and work on something else for a while I find. These blocks are quite beautiful though - worth the work you are putting into them.

Susie H said...

Lovely ... your stitching & patience are well worth it! Beautiful results

Bethan said...

Gorgeous hexagons! Although I can see why you made need a side-project; they seem so complex! x