Friday, January 15, 2021

Landscape Quilt & FNSI

A few weeks ago I mentioned that some secret sewing was happening well I can reveal what it was all about now.    My very good friend June from June's Jottings and her hubby are celebrating their 25th wedding anniversary and I wanted to make a gift for them both that reflected their lives together.    They love to travel around Australia in their caravan and in particular they stay for up to 6 weeks at a time at the Bjelke Petersen Dam every year.   June did send me a photo of the dam quite sometime ago and this is what I worked off.

While at the dam June and Peter like to spend time fishing  so when making this landscape quilt for them I added a caravan and a fishing boat.    I thought they should have a good day on the dam and  a fish was included.   Anyway here is my version of the original photo.  


The fabric chosen for the border reminds me of the greens and greys of the Australian native bush so I thought it was a fitting choice.  

Wishing them both a very happy  25th wedding anniversary and many more to come.

Not a great deal happened in the sewing room this past week due to organising our belated family Christmas lunch  last Sunday and Miss M stayed on with us for a couple of exra days after that but I have been working on some pot holders for the next hospital auxiliary stall which is due to be held next month - COVID permitting.    I put the binding on a of couple of them when joining Wendy and the other crafters  for the first FNSI of 2021.   Now that I have 5 fabric  baskets all loaded up with the appropriate colour scraps it is easy to put my hand into them and pull out a handful of each colour.    No more rummaging through jumbled up small plastic containers.   

                                       
 
Time was found to finish reading "The Tea Gardens" which I thoroughly enjoyed right from the beginning.  

Linking with Put Your Foot Down
                      TGIFF
                      Finished or not Friday
                      Quilting, Patchwork & Applique
                     Meadow Mist Designs

Back soon and in the meantime

Happy sewing all

21 comments:

June's Jottings said...

Thank you Karen, what a lovely surprise and both hubby and I appreciate the work and thought that went into your quilted mat.

Maria said...

Perfect gift for June and her hubby....
Nice scrappy pot holders and that is a great book....
I’m off now to sew as it’s only 5.20pm here....

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a lovely gift!!! And a great reminder of your friendship! those pot holders are really cute!! Happy Stitching!!

Cheryll said...

What a wonderful thoughtful gift for your friend... NiCe.
Great sewing with you last night at FNSI too...xox

Fiona said...

Lovely gift for June.... so clever and thoughtful.... it's so wonderful having scraps colour coded isn't it.... I don't know why it took me so long to do it.... and the potholders are a perfect use of them... I love FM's books ... though I listen more than read and I have her next one booked....
Hugz

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Such a beautiful gift for your friends. I'm sure they'll cherish it always. Enjoy your belated family time xx

kiwikid said...

You made a beautiful gift for your friends. I like the pot holders too.

Kaisievic said...

Gorgeous quilt, Karen - your friends will love it. I really like your pot holders, too.

Michelle Ridgway said...

That is a lovely special gift Karen. I am sure you enjoyed your postponed gathering! Lovely placemats too. Its a good read....I have Diamond Hunters waiting in my pile.

Vicki said...

What a lovely gift for your friends. Those colourful potholders should be very popular at the next sale.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

What a wonderful 25th anniversary gift!

Raewyn said...

Such a thoughtful and special anniversary gift. I'm sure it will be treasured. The pot holders look great too. Nothing like having organised scraps!

Janice said...

What a lovely gift got June. Very appropriate. It has definitely been worth making your coloured baskets. So much more time can be spent actually stitching.

Susie H said...

That was a beautiful anniversary with a lot of thought in the process. Love the pot holders and am glad you found some time to relax and sew on the bindings!

Ondrea said...

The pot holders are so lovely. Love your art quilt...well done! I loved that book and have now read a few of hers. I have just ordered The Champagne Wars.

Lisa in Port Hope said...

I love having my scraps pre-sorted too although they keep exploding out of the container. What a lovely momento for your friends. Thanks for joining TGIFF!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

This is a beautiful gift for your friend, full of fun and great memories to remember! Lovely pot holders too!
Thank you for sharing with Patchwork & Quilts link party today 🤩

Bethan said...

What a really lovely gift for June and her husband! Those potholders should be popular x

dq said...

Oh wow Karen on that beautiful landscape quilt. You did an amazing job!

jude's page said...

Lovely landscape quilt, very suitable gift. Glad you got to have Christmas at last with your family.

Cheryl said...

Very cute! Thanks for linking up with the Favorite Finishes Linkup Party!