Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Quilting Class is in

I have a friend of 40 + years who is a crafter of all sorts and had made a quilt many many years ago but has not made one since.     She was gifted a quilt by her sister for a special "0" birthday some years back and felt that she would like to make a "copy" of it in a different colourway and asked if I would help her.     This is what she now has

After a trip to a couple of different fabric shops this is her choice of fabrics.    She also decided that some tatting will be added to the centre of each of the white blocks.   

So the appointed day for lesson one arrived.   My kitchen was set up with two cutting stations an ironing station and of course the all important tea/coffee and cake station.    




We managed to cut all 31 large white squares and the 124 white rectangles required. 

As well as the 30 +  2 1/2" wide strips needed for each of the blue fabrics.    We even managed to sub-cut some of those into 2 1/2" squares.

I sent her home with a cutting mat, rotary cutter and spare blade, two rulers and a fair bit of homework - sub cutting the many strips of fabric that were left to cut into 2 1/2" squares.  


I was very pleased with day one progress as this was the first time that she had used a rotary cutter and rulers.   

Next step is for her to start sewing up the blocks.  I went through the all important 1/4" seams, how to iron and nest the seams with the instruction if she gets stuck I am only a phone call away and there is always you-tube to help out.   

I will keep you posted as to progress and our next session.   

Two more beanies have been added to the finished pile.


And a new book started.   


Slow but sure quilting still continues on the toucan quilt.

Back soon and in the meantime

Happy sewing all

9 comments:

Janice said...

It sometimes nds like a very enjoyable and productive day. You may have a new quilting convert. I look forward to seeing progress

Jeanna said...

Your friend is lucky to have one-on-one quilting lessons with you. Looking forward to seeing her progress. Those beanies are so cute.

Fiona said...

Great to be sharing your skills and it will be a lovely quilt... I like your friends choices of colours. there may be another quilt addict joining the gang! Cute beanies... happy quilting
Hugz

ButterZ said...

So good to be helping a friend and have someone to sew along with

Karen's Korner said...

My student does not have a blog but sent me this comment to post on her behalf about our day.

"I have been sewing, crocheting and knitting since I was about 12. I took up tatting when I retired. With all these crafts, it's handy to have an experienced person teach you tricks and tips that you don't find in books and patterns. It's helpful also to know why something is done in a certain way. Thanks Karen, for your help.”

Janet O. said...

Her fabric choices are lovely, and the tatting will be a fun addition.
Good of you to do the teaching.
Fun beanies!!

Maria said...

A very successful productive day for your friend and you.
Look forward to seeing her progress.
Cute beanies and a lovely new book ..

Susan said...

I'm sure you had a wonderful day - sharing your skills with your friend. I love the blues she chose.
be sure to post her progress.

jude's page said...

Well done with the lesson, look forward to seeing it come together