Monday, October 22, 2018

In the dark

The storm season is upon us and  we have had three storms in as many days.   With the first one we only caught the tail end of it and the second one passed right over but with the third one we were not so lucky.  It was one of those storms where the thunder and lightning were striking together and right above us for quite a while. 



Fortunately we had no damage but did loose our power for over 2 hours just after 6 pm....right on dinner time preparation.    I had seen this storm "brewing" for sometime and decided that we would eat a bit earlier than usual as I had a "feeling" that this storm was going to be worse than the previous two nights and being an all electric house we did not want to be eating a half cooked  meal.

As darkness settled around us it was out with the torches - which provided enough light to see around the house but not enough to do anything such as sewing or reading.    Hubs and I looked across at each other and decided that life without power is pretty dismal.   I cannot image life without electricity - no lights, no tv, no computer, no sewing machine, no power to make a cup of coffee but that was how life was in the not too distant past.  

Even though I was walking around the house carrying a torch I still was in the habit of walking into a room and turning on the light...a big cheer went up from us both at 8.30 when the first flicker of light appeared.    It was on with the tv and off with the torches.

Before the power went off I was able to use my machine to make a small zip pouch with a mesh front.



When buying the mesh  my choice would have been white but it was a case of take it or leave it.....black, black or black was all that was available so black it was.

And I am still in the dark as to how to fix my blog problem of not being able to receive emails from those who leave comments.   I have gone into the screen that I went into a few months ago but it is different and I have tried to do what was done before in a couple of places but still no emails coming through.     Thank you to those who  left a comment on my "Help" post.   Computers...….grrhhhh.

Linking with Finished or not Friday and Oh Scrap.

Back soon and in the meantime


Happy sewing all


11 comments:

Raewyn said...

Lucky you were a little prepared for the power outage. 'Storm season' sounds a bit scary - we don't tend to have them clustered together like that. Your mesh pouch looks like a useful make - the black mesh looks fine on it ;-) I suddenly realised the other day that my comments weren't coming through again.... I went to my dashboard - settings - email - under "Comment Notification Email" I put my email address and saved it all - and it has started working again... I hope that helps...

chrisknits said...

We lost power Saturday night right in the middle of my dinner prep. So I put it all away and we went out for dinner! Love the pouch!! As to blog issue, I have noticed since the blogger change I have to read some blogs in Firefox instead of Safari or I cannot comment or scroll through the posts. Maybe try a different browser? Good luck!

retdairyqueen said...

The pouch turned out great and the black looks fine
We certainly rely on the electricity. I guess in the not so distant past they knew nothing else and coped well Some lovely stitching came from that era
Best of luck with your comment issues It is a real pain when you go to do something and everything has changed

Ondrea said...

Storms can be quite invigorating and scarey at the same time. Just as well you decided to eat earlier. Hope the weather has calmed down now.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

I really hate bad weather. Your pouch is really cute.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

I don't like storms, and I hope you will be ok for some months. Try what written Raewyn, I did it too few weeks ago, and it works. I had to do it three times actually since the Blogger bug first appeared.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Going without the services we've become accustomed to for even a short time makes you really thankful when the power comes back on! I like your mesh zipper bag - where did you find the mesh fabric?

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I am so happy we don't have too many storms in the NW. In fact, our fall has been beautiful!

Love the little pouch. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

those palm trees in that first photo is so pretty with the dark sky. I had storm season too but we have a generator that takes care of part of the house so I don't have to put up with life by candlelight although we normally do not turn it on right away - we wait to see if it seems like it will be off for hours and hours - you need to get a book light and a LED lantern - they give off bright light!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Glad to hear that your power outage didn't last terribly long. Cute little zip pouch was completed just in the nick of time!

Bethan said...

I'm glad to hear the storm wasn't too bad, and you didn't loose power for long. Your zip pouch is lovely x