Wednesday, October 7, 2020

The Strawberry Thief

I have been blaming possums and bandicoots for eating the strawberries that keep appearing in the garden, getting to a certain size and then just disappearring but my thoughts were proved wrong the other day when the  resident blue tongue was caught busily chomping away in the strawberry patch.


Back in the sewing room and the green fabric basket is taking shape.    I decided to go with doing some free motion quilting on the long sides - 8" x 10".    On the 8" x 8" ends and the base cardboard was inserted between the outside and the lining to give a bit of stability.  


Finished and bound with bias binding.   A handle was put on both ends to make it easier when grabbing and moving it around.   For some reason only one handle can be seen in the photos below.  


A peek inside the basket.    A total of 184   2 1/2" squares were used in the making of the basket which took up most of my existing green scraps.    There is plenty of room for future green scraps.  


Yellow is the rainbow colour for October  so my next fabric basket will be yellow.  Gathering up all the yellow scraps sitting around the sewing room.    Three squares cut with only 181 to go.     Now you know what I will be doing over the next few days.  Better change that cutting blade.    The plastic container holding the cut squares was one of many that are currently being used to store my scraps but being small they were all full to overflowing with the scraps falling out and becoming all jumbled up.  It  was becoming a major exercise to try and find the exact piece that was wanted when doing some applique.   


Time to head off and start the day.  

Linking with Patchwork & Quilt
                      Finished or Not Finished Friday
                      Put your Foot Down
 
Back soon and in the meantime

Happy sewing all               



13 comments:

Fiona said...

Great basket... I keep my scraps in coloured scrap baskets too.... I have heard blue tongues are particularly partial to strawberries... you have a good supply it seems...

Hugz

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Great basket and great use for your green scraps.
Super cute lizard, even if he is a strawberry thief.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Ohhh cheeky lizard! Your basket looks great. Enjoy your yellow blocks x

kiwikid said...

Your blue tongue must be very happy with the feast you have provided!! 😃
Love your basket, it sure used up a lot of scraps.

jude's page said...

Hope you manage to get to taste some of the strawberries and love your bag.

Kimberly Smith said...

Hey, a lizard's gotta eat too, lol. The idea of a rainbow scrappy basket collection holding literal scraps (instead of plastic bins) I find very appealing. Please post the group when you're done!

WeedyMama said...

My first time to drop by. Would it be rude to ask where you live? I know we don't have lizards like that around here, and I'm not even sure we have lizards at all. We did have little ones in San Diego. The only slithery thing I scare up here is the random garden snake (not very big, about pencil size although they can be longer than that). We do have other wild life.

Love the green basket.

You are a very productive lady.

Cathy said...

Cute basket. Every time I see one of those scrap baskets I think I should make one or two but never do. One of these days...

The deer eat my strawberries, darn it.

Ondrea said...

Oh my! I wouldn't have thought so many squares were used to make your beautiful basket. Looks fantastic. Miss Lizzy must have developed a taste for strawberries. You provided a smorgasboard for it lol. Try growing strawberries in hanging baskets...harder for birds and other critters to get to.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

what a great basket - and a great scrap user as well... Blue tongue huh>he might have earned a scream or two from me - he is HUGE

Bethan said...

What a great basket! Well at least you caught the strawberry thief!

Sheri said...

Love your green basket and love using up scraps! Great job!

Janice said...

Cheeky blue tongue! He/she obviously has good taste. Your fabric baskets are turning out well. I wouldn’t be able to come with enough yellow scraps, as I don’t even have a lot for my Blockheads quilt. They are a great way to use them.